Fresh Strawberry Granita
Ingredients2 h 25 m servings 69 cals
- Rinse strawberries with cold water; let drain. Transfer berries to a blender and add sugar, water, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and salt.
- Pulse several times to get the mixture moving, then blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour into a large baking dish. Puree should only be about 3/8 inch deep in the dish.
- Place dish uncovered in the freezer until mixture barely begins to freeze around the edges, about 45 minutes. Mixture will still be slushy in the center.
- Lightly stir the crystals from the edge of the granita mixture into the center, using a fork, and mix thoroughly. Close freezer and chill until granita is nearly frozen, 30 to 40 more minutes. Mix lightly with a fork as before, scraping the crystals loose. Repeat freezing and stirring with the fork 3 to 4 times until the granita is light, crystals are separate, and granita looks dry and fluffy.
- Portion granita into small serving bowls to serve.
- Cook's Notes:
- This will work with other fruit and berry purees.
- Hull strawberries by using the tip of small, sharp paring knife inserted at a 45-degree angle near the hull. Rotate the berry to cut out a small cone containing the hull. It saves a little bit of fruit from each strawberry.
- Freezing times will vary greatly depending on how cold, empty, large, etc., your freezer is. Just keep checking and forking!
Per Serving: 69 calories; 0.3 g fat; 17.1 g carbohydrates; 0.8 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 26 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 13
Had this last nite with Lasagna. Very filling yet light. I thought this would taste like ice but it didn't! The strawberry's are creamy but not heavy. I would defiantly eat this as a summer refr...
Really good! Extremely easy, but very refreshing to have on a hot summer day!
Very refreshing and yummy! This is a great way to use an abundance of strawberries from our garden patch. Very simple recipe but make sure you leave enough time for the freezing and stirring. I ...
It was a delicious and refreshing treat that is just perfect for a sweet tooth craving. It helps satisfy that sweet tooth without all the sugar! Absolutely Marvelous! I hope everyone has a fun t...
I made this last summer( a little late in my review) and my kids came to spend the night with my grand children. The weather was so hot and this was so refreshing! They told me not to bother buy...
It was a little sweet but it tasted good. I told my daughter it was like a snow cone so it seemed like a fun summer treat to her.