Fresh Strawberry Granita
Ingredients2 h 25 m servings 69
- Rinse strawberries with cold water; let drain. Transfer berries to a blender and add sugar, water, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and salt.
- Pulse several times to get the mixture moving, then blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour into a large baking dish. Puree should only be about 3/8 inch deep in the dish.
- Place dish uncovered in the freezer until mixture barely begins to freeze around the edges, about 45 minutes. Mixture will still be slushy in the center.
- Lightly stir the crystals from the edge of the granita mixture into the center, using a fork, and mix thoroughly. Close freezer and chill until granita is nearly frozen, 30 to 40 more minutes. Mix lightly with a fork as before, scraping the crystals loose. Repeat freezing and stirring with the fork 3 to 4 times until the granita is light, crystals are separate, and granita looks dry and fluffy.
- Portion granita into small serving bowls to serve.
- Cook's Notes:
- This will work with other fruit and berry purees.
- Hull strawberries by using the tip of small, sharp paring knife inserted at a 45-degree angle near the hull. Rotate the berry to cut out a small cone containing the hull. It saves a little bit of fruit from each strawberry.
- Freezing times will vary greatly depending on how cold, empty, large, etc., your freezer is. Just keep checking and forking!
Per Serving: 69 calories; 0.3 17.1 0.8 0 26 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 19
Had this last nite with Lasagna. Very filling yet light. I thought this would taste like ice but it didn't! The strawberry's are creamy but not heavy. I would defiantly eat this as a summer refr...
Really good! Extremely easy, but very refreshing to have on a hot summer day!
Very refreshing and yummy! This is a great way to use an abundance of strawberries from our garden patch. Very simple recipe but make sure you leave enough time for the freezing and stirring. I ...
I like to put some basil on top but the rest was a hit on my kids
Love this. Made no changes to the recipe and was very pleased with the results.