Ingredients3 h servings 507 cals
- Preheat smoker to 225 to 250 degrees F (110 to 120 degrees C).
- Reserve about 1/2 pound bacon for cooking. Lay 2 strips of the remaining bacon on a clean surface in an X. Alternate horizontal and vertical bacon strips, weaving them tightly in an over-and-under pattern to create a lattice pattern. Sprinkle woven bacon with 1 teaspoon barbeque rub.
- Arrange reserved 1/2 pound of bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on paper towels; crumble.
- Place sausage in a large resealable plastic bag; do not close bag. Roll sausage out, still in the bag, to a square the same size as the woven bacon. Cut bag off the sausage and arrange sausage over bacon; discard bag. Sprinkle crumbled bacon, Cheddar cheese, green onions, and garlic over sausage. Pour about 3/4 bottle barbeque sauce over sausage and season with remaining barbeque rub.
- Roll woven bacon tightly around sausage into a loaf.
- Cook bacon-sausage loaf seam-side down in the preheated smoker for about 1 1/2 hours. Brush woven bacon with remaining barbeque sauce and continue to smoke until loaf is no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Allow loaf to rest for 30 minutes before slicing.
- Cook's Note:
- For crispier bacon on the roll, when you remove it from the smoker, place the roll in the broiler for approximately 5 minutes to crisp up the outside; then baste with the barbecue sauce.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 507 calories; 36.4 g fat; 20 g carbohydrates; 23.9 g protein; 96 mg cholesterol; 2239 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
We modified the interior meat to Sweet Italian sausage and ground chicken breast, left out the cheese and bacon crumbles on the interior. Baked, tented for 2 hour at 400. It fed 6 adults and e...
I made this last night for 8 people didn't have enough sausage to I mixed it with some ground beef my family loved it only complaint I got is there wasn't enough thank you for such a great recipe
Thanks for this recipe! My smoker was a little slower than expected, and we did broil the roll to crisp up the bacon. I made a few changes as well... I only used one package of bacon (16 strips...
We used hot and sweet italian sausage recipes from allrecipe. Slow backed for 90 minutes at 250° and then another 90 minutes at 350°. I suggest not mixing the inside ingredients and placing insi...
Wow this was great! I made a few changes but not enough to really throw off the recipe. I used 1 lb of ground beef and 1 lb of ground pork sausage, no garlic and no spice rub. The child and I...
I made this recipe for my friends birthday. He loved it! I really enjoyed making it.
Great recipe. Full of flavor and texture. However, I wouldn't suggest making this everyday. Your doctor might have something to say about your vitals. But all-in-all, it's a great dish. Wou...