Grandma Leone's Fruit Cake
Ingredients2 h 10 m servings 621
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 8x8-inch baking pans.
- Bring water and raisins to a boil in a saucepan; cook until raisins are plump, about 2 minutes. Drain and cool raisins; reserve raisin water.
- Mix 3 cups flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Place pecans and 2 tablespoons flour in a resealable plastic bag; close and shake bag until pecans are coated. Pour pecans into a colander and shake off excess flour.
- Whisk sugar, oil, eggs, and cooled raisin water together in a bowl; fold in candied fruit. Stir flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, into sugar mixture until fully incorporated; fold in raisins and pecans. Fill the prepared pans a little over half full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Lower temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C); bake until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 more hour.
- Cook's Note:
- You can also use one large Bundt® pan. I usually buy disposable aluminum pans of varying sizes and give as gifts. I have at times used 10 to 15 mini tins, serves 2!
Per Serving: 621 calories; 34.5 77.7 5.8 37 465 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I made it exactly as per the recipe. The batter was a little runny. Cake turned out very tasty but was a little crumbly and dry. Eating it the next day, the cake is soft although still crumbly....
I used this recipe because it was less work then the old family recipe I have used in the passed. I did save some effort, but the results where disappointing . The cake is dry, lacks integrity a...
A hit! Changed it up a bit after reading the reviews to keep it moist also used flute pan and only cooked 40 minutes to perfect.