Greek Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers (Yemista)
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 348 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Cut off tops of tomatoes, leaving 1 corner still attached to create a lid. Scoop insides of tomatoes and transfer 'meat' to a large bowl; squeeze juices out of tomatoes. Cut off tops of green peppers and reserve for later use; scoop out seeds and membranes. Arrange tomatoes and bell peppers in a 11x17-inch baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic in the melted butter until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add ground chuck, soy sauce, seasoned salt, and black pepper to onion mixture; cook until ground chuck is browned and crumbly, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix squeezed tomato meat and water into browned chuck; bring to a simmer, about 15 minutes. Add rice and bring to a boil; remove skillet from heat. Spoon beef-rice mixture into tomatoes; place tops onto filled tomatoes and arrange them into the baking dish with lid sides down.
- Stuff bell peppers with beef-rice mixture and top with reserved lids; lay bell peppers sideways in the baking dish. Pour olive oil over stuffed tomatoes and bell peppers; season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn bell peppers and continue baking until bell peppers and tomatoes are softened, about 30 more minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Size of pan depends on size of peppers and tomatoes.
Per Serving: 348 calories; 20.6 g fat; 28.5 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 44 mg cholesterol; 412 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I made only a half recipe as there are only two of us. I precooked the rice in beef broth and used Cavenders Greek seasoning. Used a bit less meat but added some crumbled feta cheese to the co...