Greek Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers (Yemista)
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 348
- Cut off tops of tomatoes, leaving 1 corner still attached to create a lid. Scoop insides of tomatoes and transfer 'meat' to a large bowl; squeeze juices out of tomatoes. Cut off tops of green peppers and reserve for later use; scoop out seeds and membranes. Arrange tomatoes and bell peppers in a 11x17-inch baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic in the melted butter until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add ground chuck, soy sauce, seasoned salt, and black pepper to onion mixture; cook until ground chuck is browned and crumbly, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix squeezed tomato meat and water into browned chuck; bring to a simmer, about 15 minutes. Add rice and bring to a boil; remove skillet from heat. Spoon beef-rice mixture into tomatoes; place tops onto filled tomatoes and arrange them into the baking dish with lid sides down.
- Stuff bell peppers with beef-rice mixture and top with reserved lids; lay bell peppers sideways in the baking dish. Pour olive oil over stuffed tomatoes and bell peppers; season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn bell peppers and continue baking until bell peppers and tomatoes are softened, about 30 more minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Size of pan depends on size of peppers and tomatoes.
Per Serving: 348 calories; 20.6 28.5 13 44 412 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
We could eat them all day, every day that's how good they are.
Tasty! I didn’t have Season Salt but created it from scratch. I only made peppers plus added feta cheese at the bottom of the peppers and on top. When I baked them I cut off some of the bottoms ...
I made only a half recipe as there are only two of us. I precooked the rice in beef broth and used Cavenders Greek seasoning. Used a bit less meat but added some crumbled feta cheese to the co...
I made this and is just like my moms and my yia yia`s, my moms mom. I only used tomatoes however cause my Mrs. dosen`t like peppers. I also added about 5 peeled and quartered potatoes and baked...
I made a slight change with the last step. Instead of placing the lids on top, I made a light crust. A mixture of bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. It's how my Greek aunt used to make hers.
Delicious! When traveling in Greece, this was a favorite meal. Using really fabulous tomatoes is the key to this dish.
My mother in law’s recipe. I actually simmer the peppers in hot water not boiling for a minute or 2. I use the meatloaf package instead, of just beef. I find the mixed meat is much softer and ...