Ingredients3 h 5 m servings 207 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla extract; mix well. Pour mixture into prepared baking sheet and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned and firm, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool patty in the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Break cooked patty into chunks and put through a meat grinder, using a coarse blade. Divide crumbs over two baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven until dry, stirring every 10 minutes, about 30 minutes. Allow crumbs to cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- Cook's Notes:
- If you don't have a meat grinder, you can pulse the crumbs in a food processor.
- Baking sheets without the insulated lining work best.
Per Serving: 207 calories; 1 g fat; 45.6 g carbohydrates; 6.2 g protein; 2 mg cholesterol; 349 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I really liked this recipe! I knew exactly what was going into my cereal and could adjust the sugar amount which I did. I used 1/4 cup of homemade brown sugar because I wanted just a hint of s...
When I was a kid I always wondered what exactly a grape nut was lol. This is a great recipe, even though I didn’t follow it exactly. I did what I usually do, read some recipes and reviews then g...
I tried this, it needs some tweeking for my taste. I would add half the cinnamon, it's too much. Definitely use the meat grinder. It takes way more than 30 minutes to do the second bake. It too...
This recipe makes an interesting "cereal", I liked it, but it is nothing like Grape Nuts. It is light and crispy, where Grape Nuts are dense and crunchy. Completely different flavor, and ingredi...