Homemade Grape Nuts®
Ingredients3 h 5 m servings 207
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla extract; mix well. Pour mixture into prepared baking sheet and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned and firm, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool patty in the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Break cooked patty into chunks and put through a meat grinder, using a coarse blade. Divide crumbs over two baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven until dry, stirring every 10 minutes, about 30 minutes. Allow crumbs to cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- Cook's Notes:
- If you don't have a meat grinder, you can pulse the crumbs in a food processor.
- Baking sheets without the insulated lining work best.
Per Serving: 207 calories; 1 45.6 6.2 2 349 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I really liked this recipe! I knew exactly what was going into my cereal and could adjust the sugar amount which I did. I used 1/4 cup of homemade brown sugar because I wanted just a hint of s...
I tried this, it needs some tweeking for my taste. I would add half the cinnamon, it's too much. Definitely use the meat grinder. It takes way more than 30 minutes to do the second bake. It too...
When I was a kid I always wondered what exactly a grape nut was lol. This is a great recipe, even though I didn’t follow it exactly. I did what I usually do, read some recipes and reviews then g...
This recipe makes an interesting "cereal", I liked it, but it is nothing like Grape Nuts. It is light and crispy, where Grape Nuts are dense and crunchy. Completely different flavor, and ingredi...