Southern-Style Fried Chicken with Garlic Mashed Potatoes
made it | 0 reviews |
Clorox® Disinfecting Wipes
"Brined in buttermilk, this fried chicken is tender and moist and, served with garlic mashed potatoes, a sure-fire family favorite."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 42 m servings 922 cals
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- For brine, combine the chicken, buttermilk, hot pepper sauce, the 3 tablespoons salt, and sugar in a large resealable plastic bag set in a bowl; seal bag. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Pour 1 1/2 inches vegetable oil into a deep, heavy skillet or a deep-fat fryer. Heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- [Cleaning tip: Wipe off any chicken juice or egg that may have spilled on the countertop with Clorox(R) Disinfecting Wipes**. Rinse hands once complete.]
- While oil heats, combine flour, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Remove chicken from buttermilk and coat evenly with flour mixture.
- Fry chicken, half at a time, in hot oil for 12 to 15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and breading is golden brown. Drain on paper towels. If desired, keep fried chicken warm in a preheated 300 degree F oven while frying remaining chicken pieces. Serve chicken with Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
- For Garlic Mashed Potatoes: Peel potatoes if desired. Place potatoes and garlic into a large pot and cover with water; stir in 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Place drained potatoes and garlic, milk, butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Mix well with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- [Cleaning tip: Wipe off any meat residue or egg spills on the countertop with Clorox(R) Disinfecting Wipes**. Rinse hands once complete.]
- If using bone-in chicken breast, cut pieces in half crosswise before adding to the brine.
- **Use as directed. For surfaces that may come in contact with food, a potable water rinse is required.
Per Serving: 922 calories; 46.3 g fat; 82.7 g carbohydrates; 43.2 g protein; 137 mg cholesterol; 4775 mg sodium. Full nutrition