Ingredients8 h 50 m servings 53
- Combine cucumbers, onions, and salt together in a colander fitted over a bowl; place in the refrigerator for cucumbers and onions to drain, 8 hours to overnight.
- Mix vinegar, sugar, water, flour, turmeric, ginger, and black pepper in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened, about 5 minutes. Add cucumbers and onions; boil for about 10 more minutes.
- Sterilize jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack the relish into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of sodium for the salt used. The actual amount of salt consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 53 calories; 0.1 13.3 0.5 0 234 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I confess, I did cut the sugar amount in half and I did not stir up 60 servings or can any of this. But it really was delectable, sweet, sour, slightly spicy, with a nice little crunch. I was ...
Made as written minus the ginger and the end result was much that of bread and butter flavor which I hate but hubs likes. If you like bread and butter pickles then you should really give this on...
I've made this recipe 4 times so far this growing season. My husband and family loves it! Hubby even puts it on his eggs! Thank you so much for sharing. (I wasn't sure about the 7 large cucumber...
This was SO yummy! Not sure if it's the ginger in it, or the amount of sugar, but really tangy. Not a bad thing; I love pickles! Thanks for the recipe! I was really angry at the flour for clumpi...