Ingredients8 h 50 m servings 53
- Combine cucumbers, onions, and salt together in a colander fitted over a bowl; place in the refrigerator for cucumbers and onions to drain, 8 hours to overnight.
- Mix vinegar, sugar, water, flour, turmeric, ginger, and black pepper in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened, about 5 minutes. Add cucumbers and onions; boil for about 10 more minutes.
- Sterilize jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack the relish into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of sodium for the salt used. The actual amount of salt consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 53 calories; 0.1 13.3 0.5 0 234 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I confess, I did cut the sugar amount in half and I did not stir up 60 servings or can any of this. But it really was delectable, sweet, sour, slightly spicy, with a nice little crunch. I was ...
I've made this recipe 4 times so far this growing season. My husband and family loves it! Hubby even puts it on his eggs! Thank you so much for sharing. (I wasn't sure about the 7 large cucumber...
Made as written minus the ginger and the end result was much that of bread and butter flavor which I hate but hubs likes. If you like bread and butter pickles then you should really give this on...
This was SO yummy! Not sure if it's the ginger in it, or the amount of sugar, but really tangy. Not a bad thing; I love pickles! Thanks for the recipe! I was really angry at the flour for clumpi...