Ingredients4 h 10 m servings 491
- Place chicken thighs and drumsticks into a bowl and pour buttermilk over chicken. Stir to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 3 hours (or up to overnight).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Place flour, onion powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt, chicken bouillon granules, sage, black pepper, thyme, and marjoram into a 1-gallon resealable plastic bag. Close bag and shake to combine flour and seasonings. Whisk eggs and milk in a large bowl.
- Pour vegetable oil into a cast-iron skillet or an oven-safe glass or metal pan. Heat skillet with oil in the hot oven for 10 minutes.
- While oil is heating, drain buttermilk from chicken pieces and place each chicken piece into plastic bag of seasoned flour. Seal bag and shake to coat chicken piece with seasoned flour. Dip each coated piece in egg mixture, then return the piece to the bag of flour mixture and shake to coat a second time. Place coated chicken pieces onto a plate to rest for 5 minutes to set coating.
- Place coated chicken into hot oil in the skillet and bake for 30 minutes. Turn chicken over and bake until no longer pink inside and the coating is golden brown, about 20 more minutes. Place chicken pieces on a rack to drain oil before serving.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can substitute 3 cups water plus 1 tablespoon salt for buttermilk if desired. Bake boneless chicken breasts for a total of 30 minutes (15 minutes on each side).
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the breading ingredients. The actual amount of the breading consumed will vary. We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 491 calories; 20 24.8 50.5 211 699 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
A huge disappointment. The chicken itself was OK but the breading stuck to the bottom of the pan when I turned IIt and what remained was not very flavorful. If you're looking for the perfect f...
The chicken itself was very juicy. Unfortunately the crust fell off after it was out of the oven, and didn't have much of a flavor and the crust was a bit bland