Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients55 m servings 443
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Prepare a large bowl of ice water.
- Place poblano peppers on a baking sheet. Broil until skin bubbles and areas of burned skin appear. Dip peppers into boiling water for about 30 seconds, then place immediately into ice water. When peppers are chilled, remove skin. Slit peppers lengthwise and remove veins and seeds.
- Stuff each pepper with 1/4 the cotija cheese and secure pepper openings closed with toothpicks. Place flour into a shallow bowl and dip each pepper in the flour; set aside for coating to set.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Beat egg whites in a glass or metal bowl until stiff peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the tip of the peak formed by the egg whites should stand up. Gently whisk egg yolks into whites. Dip floured peppers into egg mixture to coat.
- Fry peppers in the hot oil until browned and the cheese has melted, flipping once, about 5 minutes per side.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute any kind of pepper to taste. However, I recommend finding the right kind of cheese, no substitutions! You may have to look at a Hispanic market or grocery to find it.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the breading ingredients. The actual amount of the breading consumed will vary. We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 443 calories; 25.7 31.6 21.9 162 1375 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
Very good - but I am very partial to our restaurant's recipe. I could not find cotija cheese, so used queso blanco instead. I may make these again, but probably will just go to the restaurant ...