Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 294 cals
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Mix tomato sauce, tomato paste, ketchup, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce in a bowl.
- Place stewed tomatoes in a large bowl; crush tomatoes using a fork. Add turkey, crushed crackers, onion, green bell pepper, eggs, 1 tablespoon oregano, thyme, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and 2 teaspoons black pepper; mix until evenly combined. Spoon meatloaf mixture into the prepared baking dish. Form into a loaf, leaving about 1/2 inch between loaf and sides of dish.
- Spoon half the tomato topping over the loaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Spoon the remaining tomato topping over loaf and top with mozzarella cheese. Bake until no longer pink in the center, 15 to 20 more minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
- Cook's Notes:
- If you use ground beef instead of turkey, use extra lean (93/7) because it tends to get really greasy if you use beef with a higher fat content. It is also good to add a can of carrots or corn to make it a little heartier.
- This can also be baked in 2 loaf pans. Bake loaves for 30 minutes before adding remaining tomato topping and cheese; bake additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Per Serving: 294 calories; 13.1 g fat; 18.8 g carbohydrates; 27.2 g protein; 118 mg cholesterol; 704 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Only changes were red pepper instead of green ( red were on sale for 20 cents) and I used a gorgonzola flavored cracker. I liked the texture but some may find it too soft..I would say drain the ...
This makes a huge loaf. The trouble with it is that it was very wet and relatively flavorless. I made it exactly as the recipe said, except that I drained it when I put the rest of the sauce on ...