Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 424
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place egg yolks into a large bowl; place egg whites in a separate glass or metal bowl.
- Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish. Spread rhubarb into bottom of crust. Whisk 1 cup sugar, half-and-half, flour, and salt into egg yolks until smooth. Pour mixture over rhubarb.
- Bake in the preheated oven until pie crust is browned and filling is set, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until stiff using an electric mixer; gradually beat 1/4 cup sugar and cream of tartar into egg whites to make a glossy meringue. Spoon meringue over pie filling, going right to the edge of the crust and covering all the filling. Use a spoon or spatula to make decorative swirls in the meringue.
- Return pie to oven and bake until meringue is lightly browned, 10 more minutes. Best served slightly warm.
Per Serving: 424 calories; 17.2 62.1 7 108 210 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 12
This is exactly what my grandmother made. I was so pleased to find this recipe. Absolutely WONDERFUL!!! Thank you so much!
I followed the recipe exactly, loved it! Just the right amount of sweet and tart.
Wonderful! My mom made this and we had to have her make it again because we ate it so fast. Now I am making it. I think it beats cherry pie, hands down. The perfect amount of tartness.
This was very much like the recipe my Late mother-in-law used and my Hubby has been asking for one like it since rhubarb came into season..The meringue recipe turned out perfect, which says a lo...
The meringue was easy and turned out beautifully. The rhubarb part turned out a little creamer than what I was looking for, but it tasted great!
this is exactly my great grandma's recipe (she added more sugar). Thank you for giving me all of those amazing memories that came flooding back when I tried this pie.
Added ten minutes to the Cook time as I used 4 cups of rhubarb. Also added 1/2 cup additional sugar and a bit more flour.