Flavorful German Pork Chops and Sauerkraut
Ingredients2 h servings 553 cals
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Place bread crumbs into a shallow dish; pour eggs into a separate shallow dish. Heat vegetable shortening in a skillet over medium-high heat. Dip pork chops into egg, then into bread crumbs, coating both sides. Fry chops in the hot shortening until crumbs are golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer pork chops to a baking dish, leaving melted shortening in skillet.
- Cook and stir sauerkraut with juice, onion, and caraway seeds in the same skillet over medium-low heat until heated through, about 5 minutes. Spread sauerkraut over pork chops and pour pan liquid over the top. Cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until chops are tender, 1 1/2 hour.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the breading ingredients. The actual amount of the breading consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 553 calories; 21.8 g fat; 51.7 g carbohydrates; 37 g protein; 159 mg cholesterol; 1988 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 17
We enjoyed this. I did elect to omit the bread crumbs for half my chops because of gluten intolerance of one of my guests, but that didn't seem to affect how well this turned out. My only othe...
Good enough to make on a regular basis without getting tired of it. It's simple, straightforward, and classic.
I have made this SEVERAL times! I love it so much that I make sure to get pork and sauerkraut in my groceries each month.( I especially like to eat it with homemade potatoes au gratin and some g...
We are a big fan of the caraway seeds. We add 6 ounces of beer for a broth content while serving along side mash potatos.
This made us say "Wow!" It will be one of our top go-to recipes for pork chops.
I’ve made these twice now and they were great both times! Left out the caraway seeds as I didn’t have any and still great.
I made this for a recent Oktoberfest party and it was a hit. I was worried about portion sizes since there was going to be a variety of German dishes there so instead of going with pork chops I...