Flavorful German Pork Chops and Sauerkraut
Ingredients2 h servings 553
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Place bread crumbs into a shallow dish; pour eggs into a separate shallow dish. Heat vegetable shortening in a skillet over medium-high heat. Dip pork chops into egg, then into bread crumbs, coating both sides. Fry chops in the hot shortening until crumbs are golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer pork chops to a baking dish, leaving melted shortening in skillet.
- Cook and stir sauerkraut with juice, onion, and caraway seeds in the same skillet over medium-low heat until heated through, about 5 minutes. Spread sauerkraut over pork chops and pour pan liquid over the top. Cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until chops are tender, 1 1/2 hour.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the breading ingredients. The actual amount of the breading consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 553 calories; 21.8 51.7 37 159 1988 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 23
We enjoyed this. I did elect to omit the bread crumbs for half my chops because of gluten intolerance of one of my guests, but that didn't seem to affect how well this turned out. My only othe...
I have made this SEVERAL times! I love it so much that I make sure to get pork and sauerkraut in my groceries each month.( I especially like to eat it with homemade potatoes au gratin and some g...
Good enough to make on a regular basis without getting tired of it. It's simple, straightforward, and classic.
Reduced bread crumbs to 1 C, and used just 1 egg. Used pork loin chops, so only needed to bake for 1 hour at 300 degrees. Pork chops were melt-in-your-mouth, and sauerkraut was perfect. If I'd...
I prepared this for my family’s dinner tonight with mashed potatoes and applesauce. It received good reviews and I will prepare it again. My only suggestions would be reduce the amount of bread...
I made this for our good luck New Year's lunch with black-eyed peas and greens. This was authentic German pork chops. I didn't make any changes. It was very flavorful, like the title!
Amazing! Pork chops tender & sauerkraut the best I’ve ever had!