Ingredients40 m servings 400
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan; add 1 tablespoon oregano, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Reduce heat, add chicken, and simmer until chicken is no longer pink in the center, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove chicken from broth and set aside to cool.
- Strain the chicken broth and transfer 2 cups to a pan; bring to a boil. Add rice to the boiling water, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 17 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat; cook and stir onion in the hot oil until softened, about 10 minutes. Mix the chicken broth, green chile peppers, cumin, 1 tablespoons oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder into onion. Cover stockpot and simmer.
- Shred cooled chicken; add to simmering onion mixture. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spoon 1/4 or the cooked rice into each serving bowl; sprinkle with 1 ounce Monterey Jack cheese. Ladle 1/4 of the soup into each bowl.
Per Serving: 400 calories; 12.2 47.1 25.1 58 753 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Instead of white rice, I used wild rice. I did not have fresh chile peppers, I used one 4 oz. can of mild diced green chilies. I also upped the garlic powder to a full teaspoon. After tasting it...
Giving this a 4 star based off of how easy it was and that it used staple ingredients. I do however feel it could use some jazzing up. It has a Southwest/Tex-Mex feel to it to me and so next tim...
Great base recipe for adding whatever you love! We and only had sushi rice and barley, so I made pearled barely in place of the rice. So good! I would t even know where to find fresh chili’s in ...