Easy Japanese-Style Vegan Collard Greens
Ingredients15 m servings 85 cals
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet or wok until sizzling; add collard greens, gomasio, and mirin. Cook until collard greens are tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir garlic into collard green mixture and cook just until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds; remove from heat. Season with additional sea salt if desired.
- Cook's Notes:
- If you cannot find gomasio, simply buy sesame seeds and toast them lightly in a dry skillet. Then transfer seeds to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and coarsely grind with a ratio of 1/4 cup sesame seeds to 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- I prefer to cook the collard greens at a medium-high temp for a short period of time, thereby preserving the pungent flavor of the greens.
- Onion can be added to this dish if fried for five minutes before adding the collards, but I enjoy the character of this dish without them.
Per Serving: 85 calories; 7.1 g fat; 5.3 g carbohydrates; 2.7 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 183 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Just made this, super fast and easy. Didn't have gomasio, used a little shiso furikake and dash of sea salt. Delicious!
This was only the second time I've cooked collards. First time, my wife wouldn't eat them. This time, she had seconds. Caveats: I didn't have mirin, so I used sake + raw sugar. I didn't have gom...