Trina's Beef Brisket Chili with Cornbread Waffles
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 453
- Heat olive oil in a heavy 6-quart pot over medium heat; cook and stir onion until soft and pale gold in color, about 15 minutes. Stir chili powder, cocoa, garlic, oregano, cumin, kosher salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper into onion. Cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir tomatoes and beer into the mixture until well-combined. Add ranch-style beans, beef brisket, and beef broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer chili, stirring occasionally, until meat is very tender and flavors have blended, about 30 minutes. Season with liquid smoke flavoring, salt, and black pepper.
- Preheat a waffle iron on medium according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Whisk corn bread mix, egg, sour cream, and milk in a bowl to make a batter. Pour about 1/2 cup batter, or as needed, onto hot waffle iron, close lid, and bake waffle until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve chili over hot waffles.
- Cook's Note:
- Use pan juices from cooked brisket in place of beef broth (I used beef broth because I had no brisket juice).
Per Serving: 453 calories; 22.9 38.8 20.6 64 1349 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Sorry, but this chili did not work out for us. I had really been looking forward to this, so it was disappointing. The flavor was just unusual, and not in a good way. Mixing ranch beans, beer...
I used twice the brisket recommendation as it was leftover from a couple briskets I smoked for a party. Everyone loved the waffles - I served them on the side for people to use as they pleased....