Ingredients2 h 35 m servings 195 cals
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and warm orange juice in a bowl. Let stand until yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam, about 5 minutes.
- Beat warm milk, shortening, 1/4 cup white sugar, egg, and salt together in a separate bowl. Stir yeast mixture into milk mixture. Add enough flour to mixture to create a soft dough. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Grease a large bowl and two 11x7x2-inch baking sheets.
- Place dough in the greased bowl and turn dough to coat all sides. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a clean towel and let rise in a warm place until dough is doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. Roll each half on a lightly floured surface creating 2 15x10-inch rectangles.
- Mix 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup softened butter, and 2 tablespoons orange zest in a bowl until smooth; spread half the filling onto each dough rectangle. Roll each rectangle around the filling, jelly roll-style, starting with the long end creating a log. Cut each log into 15 rolls.
- Arrange rolls on the prepared baking sheets. Cover baking sheets with plastic wrap and let rolls rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Remove plastic wrap from baking sheets.
- Bake rolls in the preheated oven until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Beat confectioners' sugar, cream cheese, 3 tablespoons softened butter, orange juice, and 2 teaspoons orange zest in a bowl until frosting is smooth. Spread frosting on the warm rolls.
Per Serving: 195 calories; 7.6 g fat; 29.8 g carbohydrates; 2.4 g protein; 22 mg cholesterol; 122 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Pretty tasty! They aren't a very sweet roll, so if you like sweets for breakfast, you may want to add more sugar in the filling or perhaps in the dough itself. I added some cinnamon to the fil...
Delicious soft rolls. I wanted more orange flavor so I added a little orange extract to the icing. I didn't like the cream cheese flavor in the icing, so next time I'll make it without cream che...