Creamiest Vegan Corn Chowder
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 341
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat; cook and stir onion, celery, and carrots in the hot oil until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir potatoes, cauliflower, bay leaves, thyme, and oregano into vegetables; cook about 5 minutes more.
- Pour vegetable broth and 6 cups corn kernels and into vegetable mixture and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until vegetables are tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Place remaining 2 cups corn kernels, cashews, and nutritional yeast into a blender and add several large spoonfuls of simmering broth to blender. Work in batches if necessary, filling blender no more than half full per batch. Cover lid with a dish towel and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend until smooth. Stir cashew mixture into soup pot; season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook's Note:
- Fresh sweet corn is best, but if it is unavailable, a good frozen variety will also do.
- Nutritional yeast adds a delicious nutty flavor. You can find it at most health food stores, either in bottles or in bulk.
- The cashews really help this soup achieve maximum creaminess, but if you are avoiding nuts, feel free to leave them out or substitute a few tablespoons of a seed paste like tahini.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup
Per Serving: 341 calories; 8 61.5 12.2 0 446 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
V. Good soup, would make again. Substituted 2 finely minced leeks for the onion [had them on hand], used chicken broth and added 1T granulated chicken broth. Used frozen corn [only 2cups]. Skip...
I thought this was a really good recipe! I will say it makes a lot! I have never used the nutritional yeast and was sceptial but it had a good flavor and my husband had two bowls. I was full ...
I actually put this in my Crock Pot and loved it! When it came time to mix the cashews with the broth, I just dipped out some of the broth from the slow cooker and boom - done! The one thing I...
I have been making this a lot. Being vegan it's not easy to make dishes that my family will eat. My husband loves this and he is not vegan.
Wow wow wow. My boyfriend, who is a "meat and potatoes" type was raving about this vegan soup! So yummy I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for the recipe!!
This is DELICIOUS! So filling and you definitely can't tell it's vegan so you don't feel like you're missing out on anything. The perfect cold-weather meal.
Very tasty and satisfying chowder. I was curious to see how well the cashews worked, and they worked very well. I used raw cashews and they added a creaminess without making the chowder taste ...