Creamiest Vegan Corn Chowder
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 341
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat; cook and stir onion, celery, and carrots in the hot oil until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir potatoes, cauliflower, bay leaves, thyme, and oregano into vegetables; cook about 5 minutes more.
- Pour vegetable broth and 6 cups corn kernels and into vegetable mixture and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until vegetables are tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Place remaining 2 cups corn kernels, cashews, and nutritional yeast into a blender and add several large spoonfuls of simmering broth to blender. Work in batches if necessary, filling blender no more than half full per batch. Cover lid with a dish towel and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend until smooth. Stir cashew mixture into soup pot; season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook's Note:
- Fresh sweet corn is best, but if it is unavailable, a good frozen variety will also do.
- Nutritional yeast adds a delicious nutty flavor. You can find it at most health food stores, either in bottles or in bulk.
- The cashews really help this soup achieve maximum creaminess, but if you are avoiding nuts, feel free to leave them out or substitute a few tablespoons of a seed paste like tahini.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup
Per Serving: 341 calories; 8 61.5 12.2 0 446 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
V. Good soup, would make again. Substituted 2 finely minced leeks for the onion [had them on hand], used chicken broth and added 1T granulated chicken broth. Used frozen corn [only 2cups]. Skip...
I thought this was a really good recipe! I will say it makes a lot! I have never used the nutritional yeast and was sceptial but it had a good flavor and my husband had two bowls. I was full ...
This is DELICIOUS! So filling and you definitely can't tell it's vegan so you don't feel like you're missing out on anything. The perfect cold-weather meal.
Very tasty and satisfying chowder. I was curious to see how well the cashews worked, and they worked very well. I used raw cashews and they added a creaminess without making the chowder taste ...
I actually put this in my Crock Pot and loved it! When it came time to mix the cashews with the broth, I just dipped out some of the broth from the slow cooker and boom - done! The one thing I...
I have been making this a lot. Being vegan it's not easy to make dishes that my family will eat. My husband loves this and he is not vegan.
Wow wow wow. My boyfriend, who is a "meat and potatoes" type was raving about this vegan soup! So yummy I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for the recipe!!
I used some of the cauliflower in the "Cream of" part as well. Super yummy soup.