Ingredients2 h 30 m servings 991
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Sprinkle lime juice over the apple slices. Stuff apples into the cavity of the chicken.
- Mix 2 cloves garlic, chicken seasoning, thyme, sage, paprika, and mint together in a bowl. Add butter to the garlic mixture; gently toss to coat the butter in the herb mixture. Stuff about 2/3 of the butter pieces under the skin. Coat the outside of the chicken with the remaining butter.
- Combine chicken broth, onion, and 2 cloves garlic in a roasting pan. Put chicken onto a rack in the roasting pan with the breast down.
- Roast chicken, basting with pan juices every 10 to 15 minutes, in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Flip the chicken and continue cooking until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 1 hour and 15 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Remove the chicken from the oven, cover with a doubled sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area for 10 minutes before carving.
- Pour the juices from the pan into a saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir flour into the juices; cook and stir until the juices thicken into a gravy, about 5 minutes. Serve with the chicken.
Per Serving: 991 calories; 64.1 18 82 316 1759 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 21
I didn't have enough thyme for the spice/butter mixture but followed everything else. The flavor was very good, not too strong, but complimented the chicken nicely and the meat was nice and tend...
Very delicious! The chicken came out really wonderfully moist and very tasty. My only problem was that although I could put the herb covered butter pats under the skin, I couldn't rub the rest...
I just made this chicken and it is so delicious and juicy! The gravy turned out so good. One thing I do with whole chicken before cooking it, is brine it (submerge it in salt water) for about ...
Requires some prep time but very tasty and moist chicken. I baked two 5 lb chickens at the same time in the same roasting pan and 32 oz. of chicken broth was plenty.
I liked it. I don't own a rack so I used the thick slices of onion and a thick, long strip of aluminum foil in the middle of the pan to lift the chicken. It's difficult to rub the butter mixtu...
Absolutely delicious - i prepared two roasters, stuffed with sliced oranges and apples. A great way to roast chicken - makes great tasting gravy - served with mashed potato, harvard beets, candi...
This recipe was excellent. My boyfriend is the world's pickiest eater and he loved it. Very moist and flavorful. The gravy was also delicious despite its green color. Just make sure to drain the...