Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 46 m servings 195
Original recipe yields 8 servings (8 bagels)
- Place water, honey, vital wheat gluten, salt, yeast, and whole wheat flour in the bread maker in that order. Select "Dough" setting. Let the bread maker work, about 2 hours.
- Remove finished dough from bread maker and punch it down on a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into 8 equal-sized sections and pat into balls. Push a thumb through each ball to make a hole; shape the bagels as round as possible. Place on a plate and cover with a clean towel; let rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with a clean towel. Sprinkle a separate baking sheet with cornmeal.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add sugar. Add bagels to the water, 2 at a time. Boil for 1 minute, turning them over halfway through. Remove bagels from the water with a slotted spoon and drain on the towel-lined baking sheet.
- Transfer bagels to the prepared baking sheet. Brush bagels with egg white.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- If you don't have a bread maker, add the yeast to the lukewarm water and honey for 10 minutes, then add the flour and gluten. Knead, let rise, and follow the rest of the instructions.
- If you don't have honey, you can use regular sugar.
- Baking time will depend upon the size of your bagels (for example, if you make 4 giant ones, they will take longer to cook). Watch carefully that they don't burn.
Per Serving: 195 calories; 0.9 41.8 7.8 0 301 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1