Spartan Tri Tip Chili
Ingredients4 h 5 m servings 593
- Place the bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on paper towels. Crumble bacon when cool enough to handle.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and brown tri tip in the hot oil, working in 4 batches, until beef is browned and no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes per batch. Return all cooked beef to pot and stir sweet onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers, chili powder, cumin, and paprika into meat; cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Pour tomatoes, beer, tequila, oregano, salt, and black pepper into mixture, scraping up and dissolving any browned bits of food on the bottom of the pot. Stir reserved bacon, beef stock, chipotle peppers, and steak sauce into the mixture; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in Mexican-style corn and green bell pepper. Cover and simmer chili, stirring occasionally, until thickened and meat is very tender, about 3 hours.
- Cook's Note:
- You can always adjust consistency using 1 teaspoon masa harina at a time.
Per Serving: 593 calories; 26.8 25.1 54.9 168 1590 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Being the first reviewer I would have liked to have given a more favorable rating but I made it exactly as written and felt I needed to be honest in hopes that it helps others wanting to make it...
We liked this! It was very spicy. If you're at all sensitive to spicy heat, I would recommend dialing back the chipotle peppers and the jalapenos. With the smoked paprika, you could even omit...
Really nice flavor with the beer and tequila. We dialed it down quite a bit on the spice just from past experiences. Went to 1 1/2 tablespoons of chili powder, 1 chipotle pepper and 1/2 jalapeño...
I really liked the sound of this recipe and knew I would have to modify it because I didn't have everything on hand, but I was not disappointed!! I omitted the corn, green pepper, jalapenos, and...