Brined Pork and Sauerkraut
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients9 h 20 m servings 543
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Pour water, apple juice, cider vinegar, molasses, kosher salt, pickling spice, and black peppercorns in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve salt and molasses. Simmer to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. Pour 2 cups ice into brine and stir to melt ice and cool brine.
- Place pork loin into a large container and pack 2 more cups ice, or as needed, around the meat. Pour brine over ice and pork, cover, and refrigerate at least 4 hours to overnight.
- Remove pork roast from brine and place into a slow cooker; pour 2 cups brine over the meat. Discard remaining brine. Spread sauerkraut, onion slices, brown sugar, fennel seeds, and coriander over pork roast. Set cooker on Low and cook for 3 hours. Add carrots to slow cooker and cook 1 more hour; add apples, cranberries, and walnuts and cook until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the roast reads 160 degrees F (70 degrees C), about 1 hour more.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the brine ingredients. The actual amount of the brine consumed will vary.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 543 calories; 20 50 42.5 106 7060 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I'm truly sorry that I couldn't give this recipe a better rating, but it just didn't deserve it. I followed the recipe with one exception: I used less sauerkraut. If you are intrigued with th...