Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 72
- Dissolve sugar in lukewarm water in a large bowl and sprinkle yeast over the top. Let yeast activate until it forms a creamy layer on top of the water, about 10 minutes.
- Rinse raisins and pat dry with paper towels. Stir raisins into yeast mixture; beat eggs, lukewarm milk, and salt into yeast mixture. Beat flour into liquid ingredients until dough is smooth. If dough is too sticky, beat in 1/4 cup more flour. Cover dough and set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Heat vegetable oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) in a large saucepan or deep fat fryer.
- Scoop up dough by tablespoon and drop, a few at a time, into the hot oil. Fry until lightly browned; drain on wire racks set over paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 72 calories; 2.4 11.5 1.6 12 32 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
We eat these every year. The dough is a thick batter, thicker than pancake batter, thinner than nut bread. I dip the spoon into the hot fat in between each "cookie". It keeps the spoon cleane...
These are great. The recipe might as well have been copied directly from my Mennnonite cookbook. The only changes we make is to roll them in granulated sugar (not icing sugar), and to cook them...
I’ve been married since 1981 to a Mennonite and this has been made every New Years in his and now in our family. His family have referred to these cookies as a ‘donut’. When eating, a spoon of ...
I'be been married 34 years to a Mennonite, so I Make new Year's Cookies almost every year for NYD. Decided to try this recipe this year. DH says they are the best yet, even better than his mot...
I grew up loving when we visited Grandma and she made these over New Years! I tried them for the first time and all loved them - my spouse and kids!