Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 175
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix 1 tablespoon water into 1/4 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until sugar is completely moistened. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the sugar and water form a golden brown syrup, about 5 minutes. Do not stir. Remove from heat and let boiling subside. Carefully stir 1 tablespoon hot water into caramel syrup.
- Whisk milk and 5 tablespoons sugar together in a saucepan over low heat; heat just until warmed and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and whisk eggs into milk mixture. Pour caramel syrup into an 8x8-inch baking dish. Pour egg-milk mixture over syrup. Place pan into a larger baking dish and pour enough water into outer pan to reach about 1/2 inch up the sides of the inner pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until custard has set, about 45 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes; chill in refrigerator before serving.
- Cook's Note:
- Remember, when cooking the caramel sauce, watch it carefully. It will cook very fast, and if you overcook it, you could make it stick to pan.
Per Serving: 175 calories; 3.7 31.2 5.2 98 60 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Taste was great. I did not like how thin it came out as I wouldn't serve it like that. So double the recipe for that size pan perhaps. I will try doing this again that way. Not sure how I was su...
One of the easiest and yummiest dessert to prepare. Its my husband's favorite. Few tips: For the caramel, heat the sugar with 5-6 tbsp water (for a flowing consistency ) over a high to medium f...
The taste of this was okay, but having followed the instructions to the t, the caramel didn't turn out (it basically just turned into a brick of white sugar). So I started it over and used 3 TB...
The caramel syrup never turned golden brown...just a white brick of sugar. And I guess I didn't let it cook long enough (I did the recommended 45 minutes @ 350 degrees Fahrenheit) because it tas...