Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients11 h 45 m servings 368 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Combine 2 tablespoons flour, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper in a large plastic bag; place brisket into bag, seal, and shake bag to coat meat with seasoned flour.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown meat on all sides; reduce heat to low. Whisk onion soup mix in hot water in a bowl until dissolved; pour over the brisket. Pour beer over meat. Add more water as needed to bring level of liquid to halfway up side of the brisket.
- Cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 2 hours, adding more water if needed. Remove meat to a platter and cool for 15 minutes. Stir ketchup, applesauce, and Worcestershire sauce into pan juices; whisk 2 tablespoons quick-mixing flour into mixture. Simmer until gravy is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Slice brisket very thinly against the grain and return sliced meat to pot with gravy. Stir to coat meat; simmer 1 more hour.
- Transfer meat and gravy to a casserole dish and cover; refrigerate overnight. Skim hardened fat from the meat and gravy before bringing back to a simmer over low heat to serve.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use beer, red wine, or red wine vinegar.
- To make in a slow cooker, transfer browned brisket to slow cooker and cook on Low for 6 1/2 hours. Remove meat to a platter and cool for15 minutes. Stir ketchup, applesauce, and Worcestershire sauce into pan juices; whisk 2 tablespoons quick-mixing flour into mixture. Simmer until gravy is thickened, about 5 minutes. Continue with recipe starting with step 4.
Per Serving: 368 calories; 22.9 g fat; 9.5 g carbohydrates; 27.5 g protein; 92 mg cholesterol; 460 mg sodium. Full nutrition