Ingredients2 h servings 657
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9-inch round baking pans.
- Dissolve cocoa powder in boiling water in a bowl; set aside to cool completely.
- Beat white sugar and canola oil together in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth; add eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition. Stir vanilla extract into creamed mixture.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a separate bowl. Mix flour mixture and sour cream alternately into the creamed mixture. Beat cocoa mixture into batter until incorporated. Pour batter into the prepared baking pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap cakes in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator.
- Beat butter in a bowl with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth; scrape down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula. Mix confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, into the creamed butter until sugar is incorporated. Add salt and beat on medium-high until frosting is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Place one cake on a serving plate; spread 1/4 the frosting on the top of cake. Place second cake on the frosting layer; spread 1/4 the frosting on second cake. Place the third cake atop the second cake. Spread the remaining frosting on the top cake and around sides of entire layer cake.
Per Serving: 657 calories; 42.3 68.5 5.7 114 312 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Great texture, very moist cake, but next time I'd add more cocoa powder.
I made the cake only, in a bundt pan, as the frosting recipe seems incomplete (no cocoa powder/chocolate in it!) Cake came out moist and tasty. I used my own chocolate icing recipe to drizzle ov...