Slow Cooker Fresh Vegetable-Beef-Barley Soup
Ingredients8 h 20 m servings 264 cals
- Combine beef, diced tomatoes with garlic, tomato-vegetable juice cocktail, potatoes, tomato sauce, carrot, barley, onion, green beans, corn, bell pepper, celery, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, thyme, oregano, marjoram, basil, beef bouillon cubes, bay leaves, sea salt, and black pepper in the crock of a large slow cooker.
- Cook on Low until the beef is tender, 7 to 8 hours. Add mushrooms and cook 1 hour more.
- Cook's Notes:
- This can also be cooked on High for 4 to 5 hours.
- I use 1 can of tomatoes with green chiles and garlic and 1 diced tomatoes with garlic, as my family likes this soup better with green chiles in it.
- I also use cheap steaks like chuck or even small 7-bone roast for this as well.
- I will use 2 cups of frozen peas and carrots instead of just carrots as well.
- In the fall time I'll add a squash, parsnips, and turnips; you can add as much veggies as you desire to this as well.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 264 calories; 5.2 g fat; 37.7 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 36 mg cholesterol; 880 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
We liked all the fresh vegetables and the meat was flavorful. I did have to add 2 cups of beef broth because the barley soaked up the liquid even though it cooked for less time then required. ( ...
This turned out to be more of a stew than a soup, which I actually personally prefer, but if you want soup you will need to add more liquid. I made this as written, although the only tomatoes w...
This was very flavorful compared to other beef stews that I have tried! I didn't have V8 juice so I substituted with beef broth. I doubled the amount of liquid to 24 oz bc I wanted more liquid i...