Ingredients5 h 30 m servings 298
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Place chicken breast halves, drumsticks, and thighs in a large bowl (see Cook's Note). Add browning sauce and olive oil, tossing to coat. Season with salt and paprika to taste.
- Arrange chicken pieces in one layer on the bottom of a roasting pan. Top with sliced onions. Cover and bake for 5 hours, basting with pan juices every hour. The onions will release some liquid; if mixture looks dried out, add a small amount of water.
- Transfer chicken and onions to a platter and serve with extra pan juices as gravy.
- Cook's Notes:
- Use whatever chicken pieces you prefer. I like a mix of 10 to 15 chicken breasts, thighs, and drumsticks (bone-in, skinless). It serves 8 to 12 people, depending on how hungry your guests are!
- I add water and a chicken bouillon cube to the roasting pan after the chicken bakes to make extra gravy, if necessary.
Per Serving: 298 calories; 8.5 21.7 33.4 94 91 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I had such high hopes for this recipe. Sadly it didn't measure up to the wonderful aroma it produced. Difficult to plate and the chicken itself didn't have much taste. The sauce which I made ...
After reading the other reviews, I tried to forestall the blandness with seasoned pepper and garlic powder, in addition to some salt. It was still flavorless. The other mystery is the 5-hour bak...
This was pretty good. I added potatoes to the roaster and some extra spices. I didn't need to add any liquid or baste. I used a whole fryer chicken and it was perfect at about 4.5 hours.