Ingredients3 h servings 788
- Melt semisweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips in heavy saucepan over very low heat while stirring. Stir coffee into the melted chocolate, remove from heat, and cool to room temperature.
- Beat egg yolks, one at a time, into the chocolate mixture.
- Beat heavy cream with an electric hand mixer in a large mixing bowl until thickened. Gradually beat sugar into the cream until the mixture is stiff.
- Beat egg whites with the salt in a separate glass or metal bowl until stiff peaks form; fold into the cream mixture. Take about 1/3 of the resulting mixture and stir into the chocolate mixture. Scrape remaining cream-and-egg mixture over lightened chocolate base and fold together gently; pour into a serving bowl or individual dessert cups.
- Chill in refrigerator until set, about 2 hours.
- Editor's Note:
- This recipe contains raw eggs. We recommend that pregnant women, young children, the elderly, and the infirm do not consume raw eggs. Learn more about egg safety from our article, Making Your Eggs Safe.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 788 calories; 63.9 55.1 10.1 242 129 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
Very delicious, but mine had a few small lumps in it. (Chocolate lumps, and who among us doesn't have a few of those?) I will try again soon, and hope next time to be lump free!!!
This recipe is for a large group, but by using the "Change Servings" calculator, you can make smaller amounts. I've made it with lumps (the chocolate cooled a little to much) but that was a hit...
I haven't made this yet, but I want to. It just seems like it's a lot. I have a small family and wanted to make it for dessert, but I don't want air if it.
If you are worried about raw egg yolks, buy the pasteurized eggs that are meant for things like eggnog and tiramisu. I actually melted the chocolate in the microwave (on 50% power, stopping ofte...
An absolute favorite, I find that if you want a creamier taste use less chocolate. Also really make sure you whip it because it's best when it's very firm, I used a kitchen aide and it turned o...
Instead of coffee I used orange juice. It was a strange chemical reaction, but with a lot more mixing, it came out well. It was a hit but wouldn't use orange juice again.
I really like this recipe. It was really a lot of mousse and I realized that as I got the ingredients, but I did make it half milk and half semisweet chocolate because I wanted it less bitter. I...