Ingredients1 h servings 356
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch square cake pan.
- Beat 2 tablespoons softened butter and 1 cup white sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat egg into the butter mixture.
- Mix 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, to the butter mixture, stirring just to combine into a batter. Fold rhubarb into the batter just until incorporated; pour into prepared pan.
- Stir 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1/4 cup flour, and 1/4 cup white sugar together in a bowl until evenly moist; sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Stir 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, cream, and vanilla together in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Serve sauce immediately with the warm cake.
Per Serving: 356 calories; 16 50 4.1 60 307 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 11
Found this recipe last year. Double the rhubarb for sure!! I used maple syrup instead of sugar for the sauce (and also added an ounce or 2 of a liqueur I had handy). I substituted whole plain y...
Fabulous! Based on other reviews that suggested adding more rhubarb, and having fresh blueberries needing a home... I added a cup of the blueberries and this cake is awesome. It took an extra...
I doubled the rhubarb as per previous reviews. Cake was delicious and our guests loved it too!
Made this tonight for Mother's Day and it came together beautifully, smelled great while baking, and came out of the pan without a hitch! Can't wait to taste it but will have to as the event is...
Wonderful? Everyone young and old loved it. I would make double next time. We had extra caramel sauce which I saved for another use.
Great recipe. I added a bit more rhubarb, making no other changes. I did not serve with the sauce and it was great the way it was. It's a great cake base and freezes well too.
I really liked this. Next time I will add a little more rhubarb. (I love rhubarb) I did not add the caramel sauce. (trying to watch my calories) Will make again!