Ingredients1 h servings 356
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch square cake pan.
- Beat 2 tablespoons softened butter and 1 cup white sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat egg into the butter mixture.
- Mix 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, to the butter mixture, stirring just to combine into a batter. Fold rhubarb into the batter just until incorporated; pour into prepared pan.
- Stir 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1/4 cup flour, and 1/4 cup white sugar together in a bowl until evenly moist; sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Stir 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, cream, and vanilla together in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Serve sauce immediately with the warm cake.
Per Serving: 356 calories; 16 50 4.1 60 307 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 11
Found this recipe last year. Double the rhubarb for sure!! I used maple syrup instead of sugar for the sauce (and also added an ounce or 2 of a liqueur I had handy). I substituted whole plain y...
Made this tonight for Mother's Day and it came together beautifully, smelled great while baking, and came out of the pan without a hitch! Can't wait to taste it but will have to as the event is...
Fabulous! Based on other reviews that suggested adding more rhubarb, and having fresh blueberries needing a home... I added a cup of the blueberries and this cake is awesome. It took an extra...
I doubled the rhubarb as per previous reviews. Cake was delicious and our guests loved it too!
Wonderful? Everyone young and old loved it. I would make double next time. We had extra caramel sauce which I saved for another use.
Great recipe. I added a bit more rhubarb, making no other changes. I did not serve with the sauce and it was great the way it was. It's a great cake base and freezes well too.
I really liked this. Next time I will add a little more rhubarb. (I love rhubarb) I did not add the caramel sauce. (trying to watch my calories) Will make again!