Spicy Chicken Broccoli Casserole with Fresh Arugula
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 371
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat; cook chicken in the hot skillet until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Set chicken aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place broccoli in the prepared casserole dish.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat; stir flour into the melted butter until combined and thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Slowly pour in chicken stock and milk, stirring constantly; continue cooking and stirring until sauce is thickened, 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Stir onion, red bell pepper, serrano chile pepper, habanero pepper, and carrot into the sauce; simmer until vegetables are slightly softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut the cooled chicken into cubes and sprinkle over broccoli. Pour sauce over chicken and broccoli.
- Heat 1 teaspoon butter in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir mushrooms until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Spoon over sauce layer in the casserole dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese over mushroom layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cooked through and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Turn on the oven's broiler; broil casserole until topping is browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Spoon casserole into 4 bowls and sprinkle 1/4 cup arugula atop each serving.
Per Serving: 371 calories; 16.9 20.8 34.1 104 466 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Spicy Chicken Broccoli Casserole w/ Fresh Arugula Haiku: "This was WAY more prep, and the end result was odd. And not enough sauce." I didn't deviate from the ingredient list or instructions oth...
This was delicious. I used oil for the roux and cut back on that a bit.. an used a jalapeno pepper because I am a wimp. Tios doesn't make much sauce so if you like it saucy... make more. For me ...
I created this meal the other day and I really enjoyed the outcome. The recipe does take about an hour or so all together but the end result was a tasty dish. The only thing I think I'd do di...
It tasted OK, but this was FAR too much work for something to come out just OK. I'm sure this was result of my novice cooking skills, but be aware, this one takes a bit of time if you're not a ...