Spicy Chicken Broccoli Casserole with Fresh Arugula
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 371 cals
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat; cook chicken in the hot skillet until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Set chicken aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place broccoli in the prepared casserole dish.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat; stir flour into the melted butter until combined and thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Slowly pour in chicken stock and milk, stirring constantly; continue cooking and stirring until sauce is thickened, 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Stir onion, red bell pepper, serrano chile pepper, habanero pepper, and carrot into the sauce; simmer until vegetables are slightly softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut the cooled chicken into cubes and sprinkle over broccoli. Pour sauce over chicken and broccoli.
- Heat 1 teaspoon butter in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir mushrooms until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Spoon over sauce layer in the casserole dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese over mushroom layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cooked through and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Turn on the oven's broiler; broil casserole until topping is browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Spoon casserole into 4 bowls and sprinkle 1/4 cup arugula atop each serving.
Per Serving: 371 calories; 16.9 g fat; 20.8 g carbohydrates; 34.1 g protein; 104 mg cholesterol; 466 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Spicy Chicken Broccoli Casserole w/ Fresh Arugula Haiku: "This was WAY more prep, and the end result was odd. And not enough sauce." I didn't deviate from the ingredient list or instructions oth...
This was delicious. I used oil for the roux and cut back on that a bit.. an used a jalapeno pepper because I am a wimp. Tios doesn't make much sauce so if you like it saucy... make more. For me ...
I created this meal the other day and I really enjoyed the outcome. The recipe does take about an hour or so all together but the end result was a tasty dish. The only thing I think I'd do di...