Ingredients1 h servings 116
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2-quart casserole.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add turnips. Reduce heat to low, and simmer turnips until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer turnips to a large bowl and mash with applesauce, 6 tablespoons softened butter, brown sugar, eggs, salt, black pepper, and half the bread crumbs. Spoon turnip mixture into the prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle with remaining half of bread crumbs. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until set, about 30 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- To prepare turnips in microwave, wrap each turnip in a paper towel. Cook in microwave oven on high for 8 minutes. Let turnips cool for 8 minutes. Cut tops and bottoms from turnips, peel, and dice.
- Casserole can be removed from oven and refrigerated until 1 hour before serving time. To reheat, bake in a 350-degree F (175-degree C) oven until heated through, about 1 hour.
Per Serving: 116 calories; 8.8 8 1.9 51 707 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
This is the best turnip recipe that I've found. I had lots of compliments and there were only a few spoonfuls left. Will definitely make this again. Went really well with our Christmas turkey ...
I like this recipe, but I had to somewhat alter the original. I reduced the 6 tbls butter to 4 tbls, make sure you are using unsalted butter. I did not put butter on the top at the end, didn't...
This is the best turnip recipe I have ever tried. I had to double it for only 8 guests. I will use this for a staple recipe. Even my Husband liked it and he hates turnip!!
Best turnip recipe I've tried so far. Used half the butter in both the turnip mixture and in the breadcrumb topping and it was still rich and creamy. Also reduced salt to 1 tsp, which was plenty.
This was really good. It didn't make me magically love turnips, though. Hubby likes turnips more than I do and he really enjoyed it.
This casserole is delicious! I did not alter the recipe at all, the amount of salt and butter is perfect and it has just the right amout of sweetness to compliment the turnip. Loved it.