Ingredients9 h 15 m servings 58
- Blend apples in batches in a blender until no large chunks remain.
- Combine blended apples, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger in a slow cooker.
- Cook uncovered on High for 1 hour. Place cover on slow cooker and continue cooking, stirring about twice per hour, until smooth, 6 to 8 hours. Remove the cover and continue cooking and stirring until thick and spreadable, 2 to 4 hours.
- Spoon into jars leaving about an inch of space at the top; seal and freeze.
- Cook's Notes:
- This uses very little sugar and retains lots of the apple flavor. Pureeing beforehand makes it easier than attempting to mash them at a later stage. You can let it cook longer if you want it thicker. *I use this to make roughly eleven 4 oz jelly jars.
- You can let it cook longer if you want it thicker.
- You may choose to use whole spices in place of the ground version, but they can lose flavor from cooking for hours in the slow cooker.
- Partner Tip
- Try using a Reynolds® slow cooker liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 58 calories; 0.1 15.1 0.2 0 2 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
I still used half the sugar the recipe called for. I've never used ginger in my apple butter so it was a nice twist. The family enjoyed it. Thanks!
Turned out good, used all spice along with the cinnamon, used less sugar also.
Making a second batch! I did however add salt, as you must always add some salt with making something sweet. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly.
I will make it again. I used a variety of apples and less sugar. My husband really likes it. Thanks.