Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 171 cals
- Combine Honeycrisp apples, Granny Smith apples, and apple cider in a large stainless steel or enamel-coated saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until mixture reduces by about half, about 20 minutes.
- Stir sugar and lemon juice into the apple mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking at a simmer until the mixture is very thick, about 25 minutes.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack apple butter into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
- Cook's Note:
- To make a spiced apple butter, add 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/2 teaspoon allspice with the sugar.
Per Serving: 171 calories; 0.1 g fat; 44.9 g carbohydrates; 0.3 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 3 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Great taste, I added the zest of lemon to it cut into very tiny pieces just for additional flavor and a crushed vit C tablet for longer shelf life / to avoid fungi formation.
I wanted to compare this recipe to mine,& I found out that apple butter is actually better with vanilla extract. This recipe is very flavorful and was just missing my touch. As I always say,"A...