Amazing Apple Butter
Ingredients10 h 40 m servings 75
- Combine apples and apple juice in a stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook at a simmer until apples are soft and mushy, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Spoon apples into a food mill and process into puree while discarding the cores and peels remaining in the mill. Transfer process apples to a slow cooker.
- Cook on High with the lid off until the moisture evaporates and the volume reduces by about half, overnight to 24 hours.
- Stir sugar, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice through the apple puree.
- Continue cooking on High until mixture mounds on a chilled plate without any water separating from the edges, another 2 to 6 hours.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack the apple butter into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
- Partner tip: Try using a Reynolds® slow cooker liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 75 calories; 0.2 19.7 0.3 0 2 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Just like it says Amazing Apple Butter! and so easy!...I had never attempted apple butter before but so amazed how it turned out....I used Jonagold apples recommended by produce person....recipe...
I would suggest follow the recipe exact but use different apples. I used granny smith, fuji, johnna gold,and sometimes I throw in a pear. The flavor is soo good.try it once I am sure you will l...
The flavor is excellent, but my apple butter kept burning in my crockpot. I am not looking forward to cleaning it. I don't know if my crockpot heat on high is hotter than some, but I made sure t...
I am making it again now! This time I have added some pears as I needed to use them before they spoiled. Smells and tastes great!