Ingredients8 h 30 m servings 209
- Soak aji peppers in 1/2 cup hot water in a small bowl until peppers are softened, about 15 minutes; drain.
- Place aji peppers, 1 quartered onion, garlic, beer, salt, and cumin into a blender and pulse several times to chop onion and peppers. Blend the mixture until it has the consistency of thin gravy and aji seeds are crushed, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slice pork loin roast into 2-ounce pieces (about the size of a deck of cards per piece). Place pork pieces into a slow cooker and pour blended aji sauce over the meat. Pour 1 cup water or as needed into the blender and pour water and any remaining sauce over meat to cover. Add allspice berries to the slow cooker.
- Grind oregano to a powder with a mortar and pestle and stir into the meat and sauce.
- Cover the cooker, set to High, and cook for 4 hours. Stir 3 onions cut into strips into meat mixture and cook until meat is very tender, 4 hours more.
- Cook's Note:
- Remove aji seeds to tone down spiciness. To cook on a stove top, follow instructions, placing items in a large pot. Cook for approximately 2 to 3 hours, until pork falls apart when pressed with a fork.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 209 calories; 7.6 9.1 24.2 64 744 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
It was great, we upped the peppers but we like it spicy. We also cooked it all in one step, on low for 6 hours and it turned out great. Viva Peru!
Most of my family loved it. The heat was beautiful. My daughter didn't care for it but she's a spice wuss, so don't put to much stock in that. After tasting it, I decided to throw some sour crea...