Stove Top Blueberry Grunt
Ingredients55 m servings 265
- Combine 4 cups blueberries, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, water, and lemon zest in a Dutch oven. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture has thickened and has a jam-like texture, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Whisk lemon juice and cornstarch together in a small bowl until smooth; stir into blueberry mixture. Add remaining 4 cups blueberries to the blueberry mixture; cook and stir until blueberry mixture is heated through, about 1 minute. Remove pot from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Mix buttermilk, butter, and vanilla extract together in a measuring cup. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 6 tablespoons sugar together in a large bowl. Slowly stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until dough forms. Scoop dough using a small ice cream scoop or 2 large spoons and drop golf ball-sized dumplings atop blueberry mixture.
- Wrap lid of Dutch oven with a clean kitchen towel to absorb condensation during cooking. Cover pot with the towel-wrapped lid, keeping towel away from heat source.
- Simmer grunt until dumplings have doubled in size and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 16 to 22 minutes.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons white sugar together in a small bowl; sprinkle over dumplings.
Per Serving: 265 calories; 6.4 50 3.7 16 229 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This is such a cozy, homestyle dessert. Perfect with a scoop of ice cream. I've also made this with blackberries.
YUMMM. This is a fantastic, easy dessert you can make any night of the week. And I did use frozen blueberries and they really worked beautifully - I just made sure to add a little extra cornstar...