- Combine shortening, granulated sugar and brown sugar in large bowl; beat at medium speed until well blended. Add milk. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt in separate large bowl. Mix into shortening mixture until well blended. Chill 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out 1/3 of dough at a time to about 1/4-inch thickness on floured surface. Cut out with cookie cutters. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugars and decors or leave plain and frost when cooled.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until edges of cookies are slightly golden. Remove immediately to cooling rack.
- Combine powdered sugar, shortening and vanilla in bowl of electric mixer; slowly blend in milk to reach desired consistency.
- Beat on high speed for 5 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Tint frosting with food coloring, if desired.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting on cookies and decorate with sparkling sugars or sprinkles while frosting is still wet to ensure the decorations stay in place. If you're planning to pipe on frosting decorations, make sure to allow the base coat of frosting, and then each addition layer, to dry completely before adding another.
- Substitute: Instead of 1 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, you can use 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening.
Per Serving: 133 calories; 4.6 21.5 1.2 9 75 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 13
Loved how easy it is, and the taste is great, too.
I don't know where I went wrong. I followed the instructions perfectly, but it was beyond dry. I use 1% milk at home, so not sure if that was the problem. It wouldn't even roll so I ended up hav...
This is a pretty good sugar cookie recipe, not my favorite though. I did give up using shortening in my baking year ago, so when I make this or any baked good calling for Crisco, I substitute bu...
This is an awesome recipe and so easy. I've used this recipe for holiday cut-out cookies for years. Delicious!
I am sugar cookie challenged. I am more of a bread baker than pie or roll out cookie baker, and some tips for using this recipe - it rolls out perfectly!! BUT only if you don't apply too much pr...
Change Vanilla Extract in cookie and icing to Almond Extract - superb.
For the icing, use the regular white shortening, and change the "1 1/2 tsp vanilla" to 1 tsp clear vanilla and 1/2 tsp clear butter flavoring. (I add just a pinch of salt, too, to neutralize the...
Wonderful,they roll out so easy.They bake perfect and soft,they taste great!I have found my all time Christmas cookie recipie.