Ingredients4 h 50 m servings 138
- Cook beef shank in a large soup pot over high heat until browned, about 3 minutes per side; add water, onion, carrots, celery, and bay leaf to the pot, bring to a simmer and cook until meat is tender and falling off the bone, about 4 hours. Strain broth and discard solids.
- Combine beef broth, beets, and cabbage in a large soup pot; cook, stirring occasionally, until beets are tender, about 30 minutes. Reduce heat to low; add vinegar, salt, and black pepper.
- Serve garnished with sour cream and dill.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of beef broth ingredients, even though only the broth is used.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 138 calories; 7.8 12 5.9 21 96 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 44
Change from orifinal recipe- total prep and cook time:45 minutes. I used to live in Ukraine and I ate borscht several times a week there. This recipe tastes very similar to how they eat it over ...
Omg.....marry me please!! Chef John Love your recipes would relocate if you would cook for me...LOL On a serious note- Thank you for all of your wonderful recipes.
I simply started with beef stock and cooked all the veggies together in the stock for 1/2 an hour. I also used plain yogurt instead of sour cream. Great and couldn't have been quicker.
Great recipe. I love beets and this is a winner! I totally agree with Sundances review. Amen. Thank you, Chef John.
I'm a russian dude and I ate everything from dumplings to pork chop my mom was the best Russian cook ever to heat up a pan so I took in her foot steps and opened a restaurant in Houston Texas an...
Been making borscht since my "from the old country" Gramma taught me 40 yrs ago, this is excellent. While I will still make Gramma's recipe, this is a hearty, and delicious variation. I had to m...
When I saw your ingredients I knew this was the recipe I had been looking for! I used everything in your recipe but cooked the beef shanks in the crock pot for seven hours, removed the meat and...
When I made this it was my first time making or trying borscht. It was absolutely incredible! I ate everything in my bowl and then went back for seconds, and even my husband enjoyed eating it (a...