Spicy and Thick Turkey Chili
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 458 cals
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir onions, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and garlic in hot oil until the onion is translucent, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Crumble ground turkey into small pieces and add to the pot. Place a cover on the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until turkey is cooked through and no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Season turkey with chili powder, oregano, paprika, cumin, seasoned salt, red pepper flakes, ground black pepper, and cocoa powder. Add diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, red chili beans, black beans, tomato paste, light beer, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and tomato juice to the pot. Loosely cover the pot and cook mixture at a simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened but still moist, for about 1 hour. Stir reserved liquid from diced tomatoes with green chilies into chili as it simmers to keep it from becoming too dry.
- Stir hot pepper sauce through the chili. Reduce heat to low and cook another 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 458 calories; 17.1 g fat; 48.7 g carbohydrates; 32.7 g protein; 75 mg cholesterol; 1823 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
This is so close to my own chili recipe that I knew we'd love it. The only change I made was two cans of black beans, just didn't have the red beans and an orange bell pepper or yellow can't rem...
Yummy! Added 3 Serrano peppers, garnish with homemade guacamole, sour cream, sharp cheddar, tomato, cilantro, and lime. Big hit with the roomie and boyfriend, saving this recipe!
This is a nice variation on the turkey black bean chili I usually make. LOTS of ingredients, but it had good flavor. I cut way back on the red pepper flakes and it was still plenty spicy for us...
Spicy & Thick Turkey Chili Haiku: "there's just too much stuff. A good chili nonetheless. Yup, spicy & thick." We liked this chili, but I just felt the ingredient list was unneccessarily long, b...