Ingredients2 h 55 m servings 66
- Place apples in a large pot and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, until apples are softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Press apples through a food mill to separate seeds, cores, and skin from apple pulp and transfer pulp to a bowl. Stir white sugar, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg into apples. Pour apple mixture into a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven, stirring and scraping sides every 20 to 30 minutes, until apple butter is red and thickened, 2 to 4 hours.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack apple butter into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for 30 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
- Partner Tip
- Try using a Reynolds® slow cooker liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 66 calories; 1.1 14.8 0.2 3 9 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Thank you ELEANORAFA. I grew up in Kentucky and remember making apple butter with butter added, but after looking at many recipes I thought maybe I was wrong. Last night I made a batch of slow c...
I followed the recipe but I never put this in the oven. Instead, I peeled, cored and sliced 5 lbs. of apples, 1 c. sugar, 1 c. brown sugar, 1/4 c. butter, 1 T. cinnamon and 1 tsp. nutmeg. I co...