Grilled Peppercorn Steak and Caramelized Pecan Salad with Cabernet-Cherry Vinaigrette
Karen Barris Calabro
Ingredients2 h 10 m servings 800
- Whisk together 1 tablespoon olive oil, brown mustard, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, cracked pepper, and port wine in a bowl; pour marinade into a resealable plastic bag. Add the beef, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (up to 5 days if necessary).
- Bring Cabernet wine and dried cherries to a boil in a saucepan, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until wine has reduced to about 1/3 of its original volume, about 20 minutes. Dissolve 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt into the wine mixture and pour in extra-virgin olive oil. Remove from heat and let dressing cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a sheet pan.
- Toss pecan pieces in a bowl with water, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl until thoroughly coated. Spread coated pecans into the prepared sheet pan.
- Bake pecans in the preheated oven until the coating adheres to the nuts and pecans are fragrant and brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from pan and immediately transfer to a large heatproof plate to finish cooling. Be careful, candied pecans are extremely hot. Set pecans aside to cool.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for very high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove steak pieces from marinade, shake off excess marinade, and grill until steaks are seared and done to your desired degree of rareness, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes per side. An instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a steak should read 145 degrees F (65 degrees C) for medium-well. Discard used marinade. Let steaks stand for 5 minutes after grilling before cutting into thin slices.
- To serve, mix baby greens with shaved carrot and radishes in a salad bowl and divide onto 4 large serving plates. Lay slices of beef in a spoke pattern on top of greens and sprinkle each salad generously with candied pecans. Whisk dressing and drizzle over salads, distributing a few cherries onto each salad.
- Cook's Note:
- Pecans and dressing can be made ahead of time. Store pecans in an airtight container to prevent them from getting stale.
Per Serving: 800 calories; 56.1 28.4 24.3 49 996 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Outstanding recipe, worthy of any Five Star restaurant! The cabernet-cherry vinaigrette is absolutely delicious. This really is NOT a complicated recipe. It looks like there are a lot of step...
Simply awesome as is. Everyone loved it and I had no leftovers.
We Loved this! Just Watch those pecans, l almost burned them. Next Time I'll take the temp down a notch. Great Way to use up not so great cab. Delicious!
I agree with the other poster that this is not a difficult recipe...just more steps (which is great because it breaks it down and therefore easily manageable). I have been experimenting wit...