Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Eggplant
Ingredients1 h servings 191 cals
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place eggplant halves, cut sides up, onto a baking sheet and brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Bake eggplant in the preheated oven until soft, 30 to 35 minutes. Peel eggplant when cool enough to handle; set aside.
- While eggplant is baking, place potatoes and garlic cloves into a large pot and cover with lightly-salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon slices on paper towels and retain 1 tablespoon drippings in the skillet. When bacon is cool, crumble, and set aside. Cook and stir onion in bacon drippings until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Set onion aside.
- Place eggplant, potatoes, cooked garlic cloves, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher until smooth and thoroughly combined. Season to taste with salt and cracked black pepper. Serve in a bowl topped with cooked onion and crumbled bacon.
Per Serving: 191 calories; 8.4 g fat; 26.1 g carbohydrates; 4.5 g protein; 6 mg cholesterol; 82 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
These were pretty good, I really enjoyed having the eggplant in the potatoes. I had no idea what to expect and it gave it really sophisticated flavor. I think this is an awesome idea, works gr...
Love the taste of eggplant in the potatoes! Made and tasted per recipe... rated it 5 stars as is! Hubby likes creamy taters, so I did add a little butter and sour cream! Really didnt change the ...
this was a nice twist on traditional mashed potatoes.. i steamed my potatoes instead of boiling them and just threw the two cloves of garlic in with the onion that i diced up.. i used about a ta...
Did this got lunch today for my daughter who is almost 2. She loved it. I added carrots to mine and it was great.
This recipe was an excellent way to use the eggplant I got in my organic food box delivery this week, along with organic potatoes. I'm not really a fan of eggplant, but I didn't want to waste it...
Really good, added a little butter and green pepper but it really didn't need it
Good way to hide eggplant since I couldn't really taste it and cut down on fat. I skipped the bacon and the oil.