Ingredients40 m servings 278 cals
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray 10 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk 1 1/2 cups sifted whole wheat flour with baking soda, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix together mashed bananas, 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter, egg, white sugar, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Gently fold banana mixture into dry ingredients just until moistened; do not overmix. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Mix dark brown sugar with 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl, stirring until combined; mash 1 tablespoon unsalted butter into the mixture with a fork until streusel topping resembles crumbs. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
- Bake muffins in the preheated oven until a toothpick comes out clean or with moist crumbs, about 20 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Sifting the whole wheat flour adds air and allows the wheat flour to become lighter, so that the muffins are less dense.
Per Serving: 278 calories; 11.4 g fat; 43 g carbohydrates; 3.8 g protein; 46 mg cholesterol; 302 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 22
This recipe is the best ever! I was searching and searching for the healthy and delicious baked goods and the idea of moist banana muffin yet entirely whole wheat flour muffin was very tempting....
Very good. I didn't do the streusal topping--I'd run out of steam by then, so just topped with a sprinkle each of cinnamon and brown sugar. Hubs and niece really enjoyed them; niece says 4 1/2...
Just took these muffins out of the oven- they are delicious warm with a cold glass of milk. I don't usually like to make changes to recipes when I review them, but I didn't do the topping becaus...
Great whole wheat alternative to the popular "Banana Crumb Muffins" recipe. Made these muffins several times, store them in the freezer, and they are great!
My kiddo said it might be the best muffin he has ever eaten- and he has eaten a few! Wonderful wonderful muffins using freshly ground whole wheat flour. Used oil instead of butter and made 12 mu...
Loved it!! Best muffins I've ever made. Skipped the streusal bit because I thought it would be too sweet (was naughty and added some apple sauce). Was great warm but got even more moist when coo...
This recipe turned out amazing! I got 12 muffins and they were fully cooked at 18 minutes.
Followed recipe made this twice now. A little too sweet. Will be cutting back on the sugar next time.