Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 1040 cals
Original recipe yields 2 servings
- Lay each chicken breast flat onto a work surface. Cut a 2-inch slit in the side of each breast with a small sharp knife; work the knife in the slit to make a pocket. Fill each pocket with a slice of Swiss cheese and ham and secure with a toothpick.
- Mix 1 tablespoon flour with paprika in a shallow bowl; place bread crumbs in a separate bowl. Pour 1/2 cup milk in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in milk, press into flour mixture to coat, and shake off the excess flour. Dip into beaten egg and press into bread crumbs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; fry chicken until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue frying until chicken is no longer pink in the center and juices run clear, about 15 minutes per side.
- Bring 3/4 cup milk to a boil in a saucepan.
- Melt 1 1/2 tablespoon butter over medium heat in another skillet. Whisk 1 1/2 tablespoons flour in melted butter until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour milk a little at a time to the flour mixture, whisking constantly until all milk is used. Add onion, bay leaf, and clove; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove and discard onion, bay leaf, and clove. Stir shredded Swiss cheese into the sauce until melted; season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Serve sauce over chicken.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can also substitute panko bread crumbs or Italian style seasoned bread crumbs.
- For a different sauce, you can deglaze the original skillet in which the chicken was cooked with a little white wine or low sodium chicken broth, and add a little more butter if necessary and some crushed capers. Reduce until thickened and pour over chicken and serve.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the breading ingredients. The actual amount of the breading consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 1040 calories; 62.8 g fat; 58.8 g carbohydrates; 58.5 g protein; 284 mg cholesterol; 934 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
This was soooooooooooooo much easier than I ever thought! I used the Panko bread crumbs, the crunch was amazing. I started it on the stove top and once the chicken was nice and brown, transferre...