Nana's Prairie Bread
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 40 m servings 354
Original recipe yields 16 servings (4 round loaves)
- Combine boiling water, raisins, cherries, 1/4 cup honey, and dark brown sugar in a blender. Let stand until raisins and cherries have plumped up and liquid has cooled, about 10 minutes. Puree until liquefied.
- Mix yeast, 1 tablespoon honey, and warm water together in a large bowl; let stand until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Combine 2 cups bread flour, 2 cups whole wheat flour, rye flour, powdered milk, vital wheat gluten, and salt in a bowl.
- Stir liquefied fruit mixture into the yeast mixture. Add the flour mixture. Stir until combined and a dough is formed, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Mix oil into the dough. Add the remaining 1 cup whole wheat flour. Mix in the remaining 1 cup bread flour 1/4 cup at a time; dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl but still be sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface; allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead until dough is smooth and elastic. Dust with as little additional flour as possible; dough should be tacky, not dry.
- Turn dough into an oiled bowl and cover with a loose cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn dough onto a work surface and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and shape into rounds. Place on a baking sheet. Score the top of each loaf with a sharp knife. Cover and allow to rise again until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F (82 degrees C), 20 to 25 minutes more.
- Cool loaves on racks for at least 20 minutes before slicing.
- Cook's Notes:
- After the first rise and shaping the dough may be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Cover dough with plastic wrap that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- If you don't have dried cherries just use raisins.
Per Serving: 354 calories; 8.9 60.8 9.7 4 381 Full nutrition
How much yeast is in a package of yeast?
Can I freeze dough and then bake it later?
I want my bread loaves to have a thicker crust. What can I do?
Ask Your Question