Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 30 m servings 282 cals
Original recipe yields 20 servings
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in Italian sausage and ground sirloin. Cook and stir until meat is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink. Drain and discard any excess grease.
- Transfer meat to a large Dutch oven; place over medium-high heat. Stir in chopped onion; add red, yellow, and green bell peppers, garlic, and jalapeno peppers. Cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, tomato paste, oregano, salt, black pepper, and bay leaves. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 3 minutes more.
- Stirring constantly, pour in wine, chopped tomatoes and their juice, kidney beans, tomato sauce, and chopped chipotle chiles in sauce. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Uncover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Discard bay leaves before serving.
- Cook's Note:
- You may use sweet Italian sausage and reduce the amount of chiles to 1 jalapeno and 2 chipotle chiles, if desired.
Per Serving: 282 calories; 13.5 g fat; 18.2 g carbohydrates; 18.7 g protein; 52 mg cholesterol; 746 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2