Gingerbread Cake - Vegan and Gluten-Free
Ingredients50 m servings 166 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Mix amaranth flour, buckwheat flour, coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Stir flax meal and 6 tablespoons water together in a separate bowl. Add agave nectar, canola oil, molasses, grated fresh ginger, and lemon zest; stir to combine. Pour wet ingredients into the well in the flour mixture; mix well. Gradually stir boiling water into the batter until fully incorporated. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- If you're not vegan, you can use 2 eggs instead of the ground flax. This recipe is also good with fresh or frozen (thawed) cranberries. Also excellent with a cashew cream icing or with coconut cream frosting.
- You can also choose to make 2 dozen muffins with the batter.
Per Serving: 166 calories; 7.9 g fat; 22.9 g carbohydrates; 1.6 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 184 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
I don't typically review recipes that I've altered from the printed, but since this one has no reviews, I'll do it anyway :) This turned out really good for vegan, gf gingerbread. I changed th...
What a lovely cake. I had to make some flour substitutions: a homemade brown rice and sorghum blend instead of amaranth, then chestnut flour instead of coconut flour, each in equal parts. The co...
i substituted teff flour for the amaranth, & a mix of brown rice syrup & maple syrup for the sweeteners. so fluffy & delicious!! i made a lemon vanilla cashew cream to go on top, which added a n...
I added a lot more ginger, and used eggs. I also made a glaze to go over the top with candied ginger pieces. It's dense and moist, and got compliments from the non-gluten-free people, too. Mo...
I used the 1 cup buckwheat flour and then all the other GF flours I substituted Grandpa's Kitchen GF flour and it turned out great!
Couldn't find amaranth flour so used a GF mix. I thought this was delicious and so did others. Satisfied my gingerbread craving. Topped it with dairy-free coconut whipped topping. Delici...