Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 55 m servings 243 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in a bowl. Let stand until the yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam, about 5 minutes.
- Combine yeast mixture with vegetable oil, salt, and half the flour in a large mixing bowl; stir mixture until no dry spots remain. Stir in remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Place dough in a large, lightly-oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place risen dough into an 8x8-inch square baking pan. Cover the top of the dough with Italian salad dressing mix and sprinkle loaf with oregano, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Bake in preheated oven until the top is golden brown and the bottom of loaf sounds hollow when tapped, about 30 minutes. About 5 minutes before bread is finished baking, sprinkle the loaf with Colby-Monterey Jack cheese; bake until cheese has melted. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Per Serving: 243 calories; 7.1 g fat; 35.2 g carbohydrates; 8.5 g protein; 16 mg cholesterol; 1560 mg sodium. Full nutrition
How much yeast is in a package of yeast?
Can I freeze dough and then bake it later?
I want my bread loaves to have a thicker crust. What can I do?
Ask Your Question
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
The dough for this bread came together easily--smooth and elastic--probably because of the amount of yeast for the flour. The dough doubled in size in only 45 minutes, catching me totally off g...