Ingredients3 d 14 h 15 m servings 63 cals
- Put cucumber spears in a large container. Stir pickling lime into 1 gallon water in a large pitcher until the lime is dissolved; pour over the cucumbers. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Drain cucumbers and rinse well; return to large container. Pour enough cold water over the drained cucumbers to cover. Soak at least 3 hours; drain. Transfer cucumbers to a large pot.
- Stir 1 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/4 cup water together in a bowl; add cinnamon red hot candies. Set aside to soak, stirring occasionally.
- Stir 1/2 cup vinegar, red food coloring, and alum together in a bowl until alum is dissolved; pour over the cucumbers. Put a lid on the pot, place the pot over medium heat, and bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours; drain and return cucumbers to the pot.
- Pour cinnamon candy mixture into a saucepan; add sugar and cinnamon sticks. Bring the mixture to a boil; cook and stir until the candies and sugar are dissolved completely into a syrupy liquid. Pour the liquid over the drained cucumbers. Refrigerate 8 hours to overnight.
- Drain liquid from the cucumbers into a heavy saucepan; bring to a boil and pour again over the cucumbers. Refrigerate 24 hours.
- Drain liquid again from the cucumbers into a heavy saucepan; bring to a boil and pour again over the cucumbers. Refrigerate another 24 hours.
- Heat cucumbers and syrup to a boil.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack cucumbers into the hot, sterilized jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings. Refrigerate until chilled before serving.
Per Serving: 63 calories; 0.1 g fat; 16.1 g carbohydrates; 0.5 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 14 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
These are near irresistible in my book!!! A client gave these to me as a gift and try as I might to save some for my boyfriend, I kept going back into the jar for "just one more" 'til they were...
There is an error in this recipe. After rinsing the lime away and soaking the cucs in ice water, it says drain the water from the cucumbers and put them in a large pot. In the next step, it s...
This recipe tells you to drain the lime and then soak the cucumbers in water for three hours. But it is recommended by the National Canning and Perserving Organizqtion that you change the water ...