Ingredients2 h 15 m servings 339
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion until translucent, about 7 minutes. Mix in lamb, salt, and black pepper; cook and stir until lamb is lightly browned, 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and water; season with salt and black pepper. Bring lamb mixture to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer lamb in sauce until very tender, at least 1 hour, adding more water as needed. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Stir okra into lamb mixture, adding more water if necessary, and bring to a boil. Spoon the bamia into a 2-quart baking dish and adjust salt and black pepper; cover dish with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until okra is tender, about 45 minutes; uncover for last 10 minutes of baking.
Per Serving: 339 calories; 25.7 11.2 16.9 58 337 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Cooking with 1/2 lemon will reduce the slimy texture as frying the bamya will ruin the flavor. Fresh baby okra is best but frozen will do. Cut off the end with the stem and poke holes in the ok...
I fried the okra slightly first, to stop the end product from being slimy or stringy. No need for olive oil. I also added uncrushed black pepper. Near the end of cooking the bamia I add lots of ...